Subject: Re: RFC: git cat-file --follow-symlinks?

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 01:36:00 -0400

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:29:14PM -0700, David Turner wrote:

> >   4. Return the last object we could resolve, as I described. So
> [...]
> 
> Actually, I think 4 has an insurmountable problem.  Here's the case I'm
> thinking of:
> 
> ln -s ..  morx
> 
> Imagine that we go to look up 'morx/fleem'.  Now morx is the "last
> object we could resolve", but we don't know how much of our input has
> been consumed at this point.  So consumers don't know that after they
> exit the repo, they still need to find fleem next to it.

Yes, agreed (my list was written before Andreas brought up the idea of
symlinks in the intermediate paths). I think to let the caller pick up
where you left off, you would have to create a new string that has the
"remainder" concatenated to it.

-Peff