Subject: Re: t0005-signals.sh fails with ksh

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 17:14:54 -0400

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 04:55:48PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:

> > Does this work if you did
> > 
> > 	OUT=$( ( (large_git ; echo $? 1>&3) | : ) 3>&2 ) &&
> > 
> > instead?
> 
> It does for me. I've tested our suite with mksh before, and it passed
> (that's why the earlier check already covers ksh). But using the ksh I
> get from "apt-get install ksh" on Debian (ksh93, it looks like?) fails
> as described. The change above prevents the shell from crashing, and
> then if we also massage the code, the test passes (i.e., the patch
> below).
> 
> I'm on the fence, though, on declaring ksh93 to be unsupported. I don't
> know how many other instances of this are in our test suite, and it's
> one more maintenance headache to deal with. Are there really platforms
> with no actual POSIX shell (on Solaris, for example, the xpg6 shell is a
> much better choice)?

Hmph. I just ran the whole suite with SHELL_PATH=ksh. There are about 35
failures overall, and they are not all related. For instance, in t4014,
it looks like a variable assignment just goes missing (whether it is
because it is a one-shot against a function, or because it contains a
bunch of utf8 characters, I'm not sure). We might be able to work around
that. But some of the other failures leave me quite confused.

Here's an oddity I isolated based on a failure in t5502:

  $ git init foo && cd foo
  Initialized empty Git repository in /home/peff/foo/.git/

  $ (cd .git/objects && ls)
  info pack

OK, makes sense. Now...

  $ mkdir subdir && cd subdir
  $ ls ../.git/objects
  info  pack
  $ cd ../.git/objects
  ksh: cd: /home/peff/foo/git/objects: [No such file or directory]

Um, what? Apparently using "../.foo" will eat the "." off of "foo"?

-Peff