Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] asciidoc fixups

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 01:37:06 -0400

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:23:47PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Here are the patches. They do not include the code-fence fixes from
> > Jean-Noel and myself that were already posted, but could easily go on
> > top.
> 
> Thanks. Will queue.
> 
> Why are you guys using AsciiDoctor again?  Speed over accuracy is an
> acceptable answer, as I know how slow my documentation codechain is.

I'm not sure who "you guys" is. I do not use AsciiDoctor locally, though
I would be happy to see it mature to a point where that is feasible
(because it's way faster, and also because it seems like a much more
active project at this point; it may have more bugs, but the rate of
fixing means it should overtake python AsciiDoc at some point).

If it is "why does git-scm.com use it", I think it is that python
AsciiDoc was hard to embed in a web app. AsciiDoctor started as
git-scm.com's home-grown "just enough asciidoc to render the git
manpages" library, and grew from there. I don't know why they didn't
make a decision to just pre-render outside the app for each version. I
didn't pay much attention at the time.

-Peff