Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] sha1_file: pass empty buffer to index empty file

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:38:36 -0400

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 10:25:41AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Not related to your patch, but I've often wondered if we can just get
> > rid of hold_lock_file_for_append. There's exactly one caller, and I
> > think it is doing the wrong thing. It is add_to_alternates_file(), but
> > shouldn't it probably read the existing lines to make sure it is not
> > adding a duplicate? IOW, I think hold_lock_file_for_append is a
> > fundamentally bad interface, because almost nobody truly wants to _just_
> > append.
> 
> Yeah, I tend to agree.  Perhaps I should throw it into the list of
> low hanging fruits (aka lmgtfy:"git blame leftover bits") and see if
> anybody bites ;-)

Good thinking. I think it is the right urgency and difficulty for that
list.

-Peff