Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] git-verify-pack.txt: fix inconsistent spelling of "packfile"

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 15:49:07 -0400

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 12:45:09PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> One related thing is that there are few mentions of "idx file" to
> refer to "pack index" (e.g. show-index and verify-pack documentation
> pages); I think this was an attempt to disambiguate "pack index"
> from "the Index", but as long as we spell it "pack index", I think
> it should be OK, so while we are at it we may want to fix them.  We
> can leave "pack .idx file" as-is, but rewriting it to "pack index
> file" or just "pack index" may be OK as long as it is clear from the
> context.
> 
> "git show-index" has this in SYNOPSIS:
> 
> 	'git show-index' < idx-file
> 
> It probably should become
> 
> 	'git show-index' < <pack-index>

That makes "pack-file" make more sense to me. It is not "the abstract
concept of a packfile", but "the file with the .pack extension" (just as
"idx-file" is "the file with the .idx extension"). They are the same
thing if you think about it, of course, but you might choose one over
the other depending on the context.

-Peff