Subject: Re: [RFC/WIP PATCH 10/11] t5544: add a test case for the new protocol

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 03:12:15 -0400

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 03:01:14PM -0700, Stefan Beller wrote:

> Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t5544-fetch-2.sh | 40 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 40 insertions(+)
>  create mode 100755 t/t5544-fetch-2.sh

Obviously we are not there yet, but a fun test will be to globally bump
the transport version to "2" and try to run the test suite.

We will also want to test interoperation between v1 and v2. Though the
_best_ test of that is not hitting a v2 server configured for v1, but
hitting an actual older version of git. Which is outside the scope of
the current test suite, as it always operates on a single version.

It might be nice to have a separate test suite for doing
interoperability, that knows how to build various versions (there's
already some prior art in t/perf). I know this isn't the first time this
concept has come up.

-Peff