Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] don't add duplicate paths to info/alternates

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 06:53:48 -0400

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 11:15:21AM -0700, Jim Hill wrote:

> These patches address
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/269050/focus=269415
> linked from the git blame page, avoiding adding duplicates to info/alternates
> and removing hold_lock_file_for_append which is too heavyweight for logging and
> too limited for anything else.

Thanks. Mentioning that I would like something done and then having it
unexpectedly arrive in my mailbox is like getting a present. :)

I had a few comments on the first patch, and the second looks obviously
correct.

> There's an argument to be made that since a-t-a-f is only used by clone, it
> shouldn't even bother taking a lock -- but then it should be moved to
> builtin/clone.c and reduced to a single write of the pre-deduped list, followed
> by a single read_info_alternates call. One thing at a time.  Taking out the
> locking in the incremental version here doesn't really simplify the code much
> anyway.

Yeah, I agree with all of the reasoning here.

-Peff