Subject: Re: [PATCH] log: diagnose empty HEAD more clearly

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 04:45:06 -0400

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 09:31:04AM +0200, Stefan Näwe wrote:

> > +	if (!rev->pending.nr && !opt->def)
> > +		die("you do not have a commit yet on your branch");
> 
> I am not a native english speaker but shouldn't this be:
> 
>   "you do not have a commit on your branch yet"

Both are fine, as is:

  "you do not yet have a commit on your branch"

though I think yours is slightly more clear.

If you are wondering at the reason, "yet" is an adverb modifying "have".
So it may come before or after the verb. If we substitute a simpler verb
(that does not need a direct object "a commit") and drop the
prepositional phrase ("on your branch"), we can do either:

  - you do not yet program

  - you do not program yet

If we add back in the prepositional phrase (which is really acting as an
adverbial phrase, modifying the verb here), we can do it in either
order:

  - you do not program yet in the office

  - you do not program in the office yet

But the latter makes it more clear that the "yet" applies to "in the
office".

You can also add back in the object of the verb:

  - you do not yet program computers

but you would not want:

  - you do not program yet computers

because it splits the verb from its object.

</grammar rant>

-Peff