Subject: Re: [PATCH] clone: check if server supports shallow clones

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 10:32:07 -0400

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 08:02:33PM +0700, Duy Nguyen wrote:

> > I see that do_fetch_pack checks server_supports("shallow"). Is that
> > enough to cover all fetch cases? And if it is, why does it not cover the
> > matching clone cases?
> 
> I think this replacement check would do
> 
> if ((args->depth > 0 || is_repository_shallow()) && !server_supports("shallow"))
>         die("Server does not support shallow clients");

Oh, indeed, there is the depth flag I was looking for. :)

And from some rudimentary testing, I believe that:

  git init
  git fetch --depth=1 ...

is currently broken in the same way as clone (we are not shallow yet, so
it does not complain when the server does not support it). I think the
patch above fixes both that and the clone case.

Of course it's hard to add to the test suite, since we do not have a way
of hitting a server that does not understand shallow (I simply fudged
server_supports() to return false on the client).

-Peff