Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] pkt-line: support tracing verbatim pack contents

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:18:49 -0400

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 01:14:03PM -0400, Augie Fackler wrote:

> Yeah, not having it for the push side is a slight bummer, but in
> general I haven't had problems debugging git clients pushing bogus
> data in the same way that I've had problems with weirdness in new
> server features.

Being in charge of a large git server farm, I think I have the opposite
problem. :)

> > Here's a rough cut at the "trace stdin" idea I mentioned earlier (which
> > is essentially an internal "tee"). You can collect the incoming pack
> > like:
> 
> Neat, but not sure I like the extra overhead of having to grab the
> full trace and then reconstruct some arguments to be able to diagnose
> the pack. Having the verbatim pack just land on disk is really handy,
> because then any existing tools one has cooked up (my team has a few
> weird one-off ones by now) just work without extra fussing or looking
> up steps to reconstruct the whole file.

I guess there is really room for both. Just because you _can_ accomplish
the same thing with both does not mean we cannot have two ways to do it
(an easy way, and a harder, more flexible way).

-Peff