Subject: Re: 'git status -z' missing separators on OSX

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:32:12 -0400

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 06:21:56PM -0500, Tad Hardesty wrote:

> ~/test (master #)$ git status -z | hexdump -C
> 00000000  41 20 20 61 41 20 20 62                           |A  aA  b|
> 00000008

That's really weird. I don't have a Yosemite box available, but I can't
reproduce on the Mavericks box I have access to. Still, I'd suspect
something weird in your config (e.g., something that is inserting itself
on the output pipe of "git status").

You said you blanked your config, but can you do "git config --list"
to double-check? Also, try running with GIT_TRACE=1, which would show if
git is starting a pager between your processes which might be eating the
NUL.

Can you also double-check that you have no aliases for "git" (try "type
git"). We have sometimes seen weird behavior when people have aliased
"git" to "hub".

Is it only "git status" that is affected? Does "git log --oneline -1 -z"
end in a NUL (it should)?

-Peff