Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add list-all-objects command

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 06:24:34 -0400

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 04:57:28PM +0700, Duy Nguyen wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Charles Bailey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
> >
> > list-all-objects is a command to print the ids of all objects in the
> > object database of a repository. It is designed as a low overhead
> > interface for scripts that want to analyse all objects but don't require
> > the ordering implied by a revision walk.
> >
> > It will list all objects, loose and packed, and will include unreachable
> > objects.
> 
> Nit picking, but perhaps we should allow to select object source:
> loose, packed, alternates.. These info are available now and cheap to
> get. It's ok not to do it now though.

There is already plumbing to do those individual operations if you want.
Although some of the plumbing involves "for i in objects/pack/*.pack",
which is perhaps a little less abstract than we'd like. :)

> Personally I would name this command "find-objects" (after unix
> command "find") where we could still filter objects _not_ based on
> object content.

I like that better than "ls", too, but I propose that we actually add
this as a feature to cat-file. I'll send patches in a moment.

-Peff