Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] introduce "preciousObjects" repository extension

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 03:55:14 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 05:31:14PM -0400, David Turner wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-06-23 at 06:54 -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> > +	mkconfig 1 preciousObjects >.git/config &&
> 
> nit: I think it's better to use git config rather than manually writing
> config files.  git config is more future-proof if we up switching config
> backends; it's also more composable with other configs (making this test
> easier to copy and manipulate), and more explicit.

I would have preferred that, but it makes the tests very fragile. You
are depending on "git config" running even when the current directory is
not a valid git repo (and we walk up to the surround git.git directory
and change the config there!).

I guess we could use "git config -f .git/config", though that is
partially defeating the purpose of your suggestion.

I dunno. I kind of figured we would cross that bridge if and when we
come to it. I imagine you are pretty sensitive to it, though, having
just waded through all the tests that assume various things about
.git/refs. :)

-Peff