Subject: Re: several date related issues

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:44:45 -0400

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 01:19:01PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> *** Dates do not respect LC_TIME

Right, we use our own routines for formatting the dates, and not
strftime. And it probably should stay that way in general, as git's
output is often meant to be parsed.

That being said, I do not think it would be wrong to have a date-mode
that just showed strftime("%c"), or some other arbitrary strftime
string.  You could then set log.date as appropriate for human
consumption.

> *** git log --date-order and --author-date-order do not order by date

Correct. The documentation says:

   --date-order
     Show no parents before all of its children are shown, but otherwise
     show commits in the commit timestamp order.

In your example, one commit is the parent of the other, so it hits the
first part of the sentence, and the dates are never even compared.

There is not a simple way to show commits in arbitrary order without
respect to parentage. I think you'd have to do something like:

  git log --format='%at %H' |
  sort -rn |
  cut -d' ' -f2 |
  git log --stdin --no-walk

-Peff