Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] connect: improve check for plink to reduce false positives

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:23:39 -0400

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:13:15PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > It's the test suite for the server side of our git infrastructure, so
> > nothing gets installed. It's more like:
> > 
> >   export GIT_SSH=$PROJECT_ROOT/test/plink-wrapper.sh
> >   export REAL_PLINK=$PROJECT_ROOT/vendor/putty/plink
> >   git clone localhost:foo.git
> > 
> > and the wrapper knows to chain to $REAL_PLINK. So it was actually pretty
> > easy to swap, without any hacks to avoid recursing to ourselves in the
> > $PATH.
> > 
> > I doubt it is a problem for most people, because I don't imagine they
> > are writing test suites for git-related software.
> 
> Sorry to be so unavailable... day-job and Git for Windows[*1*], what can I say.

No problem. I don't envy you. :)

> Would it help you if we detected ^plink[^a-zA-Z]?

In our we would have needed "^plink[^a-zA-Z-.]". I think there's no real
"right" answer here, as you can come up with hypotheticals that work and
don't work with just about every pattern. I was less trying to advocate
for loosening, and more just providing a data point to the list.

If we were to do any loosening, I'd probably suggest "^plink.*" (in the
basename).

-Peff