Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/4] implement submodule config API for lookup of .gitmodules values

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 11:49:03 -0400

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 02:09:01PM +0200, Heiko Voigt wrote:

> > Instead of test-submodule-config.c to test this new module, it could
> > be useful to implement these as extensions to rev-parse:
> > 
> >     git rev-parse --submodule-name [<ref>:]<path>
> >     git rev-parse --submodule-path [<ref>:]<name>
> >     git rev-parse --submodule-url [<ref>:]<name>
> >     git rev-parse --submodule-ignore [<ref>:]<name>
> >     git rev-parse --submodule-recurse [<ref>:]<name>
> > 
> > Has this already been considered and rejected for some reason?
> 
> No that has not been considered. But I am open to it if others agree
> that this is a sensible thing to do. We should be able to adapt the
> existing tests right?

How does git-submodule access this information? It looks like it just
hits "git config -f .gitmodules" directly. Perhaps whatever interface is
designed should be suitable for its use here (and if there really is no
more interesting interface needed, then why is "git config" not good
enough for other callers?).

Just my two cents as an observer who does not really work on submodules.

Also, I'm not excited to see more options go into the kitchen-sink of
rev-parse, but I cannot think of a better place (I would have said "git
submodule config" or something, but that is a chicken-and-egg with the
suggestion I made above :) ).

-Peff