Subject: Re: Building git 2.4.5 on AIX 6.1 problems

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 00:18:18 -0400

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:57:28PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > So it is obviously a structure or variable that is being used so does anyone
> > know the library that this is defined in?
> 
> Most of our objects should be found in libgit.a (you can see it on your
> command line) that our Makefile builds.
> 
> Now, it has been more than a decade since I last had to deal with a
> system that needs this the last time, but perhaps AIX linker needs the
> archives explicitly prepared with ranlib(1)? Just a shot in the dark...

Ugh, you are giving me flashbacks. ;)

We use the "s" flag to "ar", which is supposed to do the same thing as
ranlib. But I guess it is possible that the system ar does not respect
that flag. Certainly running ranlib manually would be an interesting
experiment.

If the system has GNU ar on it as well as an AIX ar, it might be
interesting to point $(AR) at the former. E.g.:

  make clean
  make AR=gar

(where "gar" is whatever GNU ar is called on the system).

-Peff