Subject: Re: [PATCH] add ls-remote --get-push-url option

From: Ben Boeckel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 14:56:19 -0400

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:40:12 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Probably get-url makes (some) sense because ls-remote is a "fetch
> that does not actually fetch anything".  But "get-push-url" to
> ls-remote makes _no_ sense whatsoever.  ls-remote and fetch do not
> have to know or care about push-url; they do not even have to know
> there exists a thing called "git push" ;-)
> 
> Wouldn't "git push -v -n" or something suit your needs already?

With some sed, yes, but then so would `git remote show` just as useful
too (and in that case, "why does --get-url exist either?" comes to
mind).

Our use case is that we have some scripts which setup the project with
the right remotes and such. To do this, we detect if your remotes are
set up properly already and not ask if things are OK already. This is
currently done with git config --get remote.$x.pushurl, but
`pushInsteadOf` is not expanded and causes false positives.

Where would a utility to have git expand its `pushInsteadOf` aliases
make more sense? Being right beside `insteadOf` expansion made sense to
me (certainly more than some locations for certain flags and actions,
but that boat sailed long ago :) ).

--Ben