Subject: Re: [BUG?] parallel make interdepencies

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:33:41 +0100

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 03:13:05PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> 
> On 2015-10-06 10:12, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> > "make -j3" just errored out on me, a follow-up "make" succeeded". This
> > looks like an interdependency issue, but I don't know how to track it:
> > 
> >     GEN git-web--browse
> >     GEN git-add--interactive
> >     GEN git-difftool
> > mv: der Aufruf von stat für „perl.mak“ ist nicht möglich: Datei oder
> > Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > 
> > (cannot stat "perl.mak")
> 
> This one sounds awfully familiar. Although I only encountered this if
> I specified `make -j15 clean all`, i.e. *both* "clean" and "all"...

I've seen something like this after upgrading perl (I can't remember the
exact error, so it may not be the same problem but I'm pretty sure it
involves perl.mak).  The problem was a result of the perl library path
changing, but I never got around to creating a patch.

I thought I remembered someone else posting a patch to address this, but
I can't find it so perhaps I'm remembering commit 07981dc (Makefile:
rebuild perl scripts when perl paths change, 2013-11-18).