Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2016, #02; Mon, 11)

From: Mike Hommey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:06:12 +0900

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 03:45:35PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * mh/notes-allow-reading-treeish (2015-10-08) 3 commits
>   (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-23 at 8a697f0)
>  + notes: allow treeish expressions as notes ref
>  + Merge branch 'jk/notes-dwim-doc' into next
>  + Merge branch 'jc/merge-drop-old-syntax' into next
>  (this branch uses jc/merge-drop-old-syntax.)
> 
>  Some "git notes" operations, e.g. "git log --notes=<note>", should
>  be able to read notes from any tree-ish that is shaped like a notes
>  tree, but the notes infrastructure required that the argument must
>  be a ref under refs/notes/.  Loosen it to require a valid ref only
>  when the operation would update the notes (in which case we must
>  have a place to store the updated notes tree, iow, a ref).
> 
>  As the patch was done on top of the 'drop old-syntax from merge',
>  this has to wait until that other topic can graduate, unfortunately.
>  It can be redone in a way that does not depend on that topic after
>  this cycle, though.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The patch applies just fine on top of
current master.

Mike