Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Fix $((...)) coding style

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:06:09 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 02:13:47PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, John Keeping wrote:
> 
> > Although I don't think the historic context is useful in deciding which
> > direction to go in the future.
> 
> Being a maintainer, I find that argument particularly hard to defend.

I worded that badly, what I wanted to say is that how we got here is
less interesting than where we are.  From a quick bit of grep'ing it
looks to me like where we are is in favour of adding spaces around
binary operators inside $(( )) constructs based on the majority of the
uses in the code as it currently stands.

> But sure, you go ahead and prepare a patch series that turns everything
> around, adding spaces around those operators.
> 
> Whatever the outcome, the inconsistency must be fixed.

I disagree.  Unless there are other changes in the same area, the noise
isn't worth it.

However, I do think we need to agree on a policy so that new code can be
consistent.  This should then be documented in CodingGuidelines.