Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/1] format-patch: add an option to record base tree info

From: Dan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:32:53 +0300

So this is the format for the first patch?

base commit: 0233b800c838ddda41db318ee396320b3c21a560

Can we change it to include the name of the public tree we are starting
from?

applies-to: 0233b800c838 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git#master

Of course, my absolute prefered format would be:

applies-to: net-next 0233b800c838

I don't think that's possible though?  I often write that sort of a line
in my emails to Dave already.

Fengguang was suggesting something like this if we have to include
unmerged patches:

applies-to: net-next 0233b800c838
private patchset 1
private patchset 2

I don't think git knows what a patchset is.  We would have to include
the subject line for each unmerged patch.  I think we should only do
that if there is a cover letter, otherwise the it's too noisy.

regards,
dan carpenter