Subject: Re: [PATCH] sequencer.c: fix detection of duplicate s-o-b

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 18:37:26 +0200

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 07:57:01AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> This seems to have been lost, perhaps because the top part that was
> quite long didn't look like a patch submission message or something.

Don't worry, we all know it's the submitter's responsibility to retransmit,
I apply the same principle :-)

> Git 1.7.12 is a quite ancient release and I wouldn't be surprised if
> we made the behaviour change during the period leading to v2.6 on
> purpose, but nothing immediately comes to mind. Christian (as the
> advocate for the trailer machinery) and Brandon ("git shortlog
> sequencer.c" suggests you), can you take a look?

FWIW it wad changed in 1.8.3 by commit bab4d10 ("sequencer.c: teach
append_signoff how to detect duplicate s-o-b").

The change made a lot of sense but it didn't assume that this practice
was common. And indeed I think this practice only happens in maintenance
branches where people have to make a lot of adaptations to existing
patches that they're cherry-picking. We do that a lot in stable kernels
to keep track of what we may need to revisit if we break something.

Thanks!
Willy