Subject: Re: [PATCH] Extend runtime prefix computation

From: Michael Weiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 19:52:07 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 09:43:29AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> We tend to avoid system specific includes in individual *.c files.

> Perhaps implement platform specific bits in compat/?  E.g. each
> platform specific file in compat/ may implement and export the same
> git_extract_argv_path() function, perhaps, so that this file does
> not even need to know what platforms it supports?

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:20:25AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> I have to admit that I am really, *really* skeptical. To me, it looks like
> this patch opens the door very wide to unintended consequences.

To make it short: I had received interest from another user for
relocatable git installations and an updated patch against current git
(based on my last post of the code to this list in 2012). This
confirmed to me that the use case is still valid. However, I do not see
myself in a position to iterate the code through the review and
improvement process that starting to unfold now. So if someone sometime
picks this up and carries on, I'd be happy. Otherwise please disregard.
-- 
Thanks,
Michael