Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2016, #02; Wed, 6)

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:40:02 +0100

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 02:39:26PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * nd/ita-cleanup (2016-07-01) 3 commits
>   (merged to 'next' on 2016-07-06 at f15aeba)
>  + grep: fix grepping for "intent to add" files
>  + t7810-grep.sh: fix a whitespace inconsistency
>  + t7810-grep.sh: fix duplicated test name
> 
>  Git does not know what the contents in the index should be for a
>  path added with "git add -N" yet, so "git grep --cached" should not
>  show hits (or show lack of hits, with -L) in such a path.  But we
>  did by mistake, which has been corrected.
> 
>  Will merge to 'master'.

I just wanted to clarify what was actually fixed. The actual bug that
was reported and fixed was the fact that 'git grep' (without --cached)
wasn't searching the contents of files in the working tree if the index
entry had the "intent to add" bit set.

My original proposed fix (reversion of the commit that introduced this
change) caused the re-introduction of behaviour where "i-to-a" files
would be reported with -L --cached which wasn't desired. I think because
we spent most of our energy and discussion on fixing this in a better
way we've lost the intent of the original patch.