Subject: Re: [RFC] Long running Git clean/smudge filter

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 11:10:46 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:
> (2) Joey's topic, which is the base for my patch, looks stalled for more than
> 2 weeks:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/297994/focus=298006
> I would be happy to address Junio's comments and post a reroll. However,
> I don't want to interfere with Joey's plans.

I've been on vacation and plan to get back to that in the upcoming week.

> @Joey (in case you are reading this):
> My patch changes your initial idea quite a bit. However, I believe it is an
> improvement that could be beneficial for git-annex, too. Would you prefer to
> work with me on the combination of our ideas (file clean/smudge + long running
> clean/smudge processes) or would you prefer to keep your interface?

Long running filters mean that you need a more complicated protocol to
speak over the pipes. Seems that such a protocol could be designed to work
with the original smudge/clean filters as well as with my
smudgeToFile/cleanFromFile filters. Assuming that there's a way to
tell whether the filters support being long-running or not.

Note that the interface we arrived at for smudgeToFile/cleanFromFile is as
similar as possible to smudge/clean, so the filter developer only has to
change one thing. That's a big plus, and so I don't like diverging the
two interfaces.

So, I don't want to entangle these two ideas very much.

-- 
see shy jo