Subject: [PATCH 0/2] format-patch: Transition the default to --from to avoid spoofed mails

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 02:41:44 -0700

As discussed, this patch series allows transitioning the default
behavior of format-patch to --from, to avoid spoofing mails when
formatting commits not written by the user.

The first patch introduces the format.from option to set the default
value of format-patch --from.  This patch doesn't change the default
behavior of format-patch, so it can go in without any transition.

The second patch changes the default to --from.  If you'd like to delay
this patch for a release and mention the planned change in the release
notes, let me know and I'll provide text for the release notes; if you
don't think this needs a transition period, you can go ahead and apply
the second patch.

Josh Triplett (2):
  format-patch: Add a config option format.from to set the default for --from
  format-patch: Default to --from

 Documentation/config.txt               | 10 ++++-
 builtin/log.c                          | 14 +++++-
 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash |  1 +-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh                | 68 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 4 files changed, 89 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

-- 
git-series 0.8.7