Subject: Re: patch submission process, was Re: [PATCH v6 06/16] merge_recursive: abort properly upon errors

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 20:17:51 +0000

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Johannes Schindelin
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I guess I have no really good idea yet, either, how to retain the ease of
> > access of sending mails to the list, yet somehow keep a strong tie with
> > the original data stored in Git.
> 
> Does it have to be email? Transmitting text could be solved
> differently as well.

I've thought a lot about this over the years still think email
is the least bad.

Anti-spam tools for other messaging systems are far behind,
proprietary, or non-existent.  bugzilla.kernel.org has been hit
hard lately and I see plenty of bug-tracker-to-mail spam as a
result from projects that use web-based bug trackers.

And email spam filtering isn't even that great
(and I think it needs to be better for IPv6 and .onion adoption
 since much of it is still IPv4-oriented blacklisting).

I guess a blockchain (*coin) implementation might work (like
hashcash is used for email anti-spam), but the ones I've glanced
at all look like a bigger waste of electricity than email
filters.

Of course, centralized systems are unacceptable to me;
and with that I'll never claim any network service I run
will be reliable :)