Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-series: track changes to a patch series over time

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 06:23:44 +0000

Josh Triplett <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On August 9, 2016 11:37:31 PM HST, Richard Ipsum <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >Maybe there's a better solution to this problem than git-candidate
> >then,
> >maybe we can just invent some wonderful new subcommand that fetches
> >a mailing list archive into a git repo, for those that want that,
> >I don't know.
> 
> public-inbox seems to address that use case. I'd love to see a
> public-inbox version of LKML, with full history. I don't think
> that fully solves the review storage and interchange problem,
> but it seems like an *excellent* solution for email archiving,
> and for distribution of archives.

Thanks, I'd like to see an LKML version, too :)  First, I want
to ensure public-inbox can handle large repos better, first.
public-inbox.org/git has been doing well so far, even on a
low-end VM with 2 cores and 2GB RAM.

I don't have anything close to full history of LKML, and
download.gmane.org is down, right now :<  I'd use NNTP, but
news.gmane.org gets overloaded from slrnpull and I even got
temporarily banned there before discovering download.gmane
:x

Maybe I'll do what was done with linux.git in 2005 and just
ignore old mail for a while...