Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/11] Resumable clone

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 20:46:27 +0000

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Eric Wong <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> [primeclone]
> >> 	url = http://location/pack-$NAME.pack
> >> 	filetype = pack
> >
> > If unconfigured, I wonder if a primeclone pack can be inferred by
> > the existence of a pack bitmap (or merely being the biggest+oldest
> > pack for dumb HTTP).
> 
> That would probably be a nice heuristics but it is unclear who
> should find that out at runtime.  The downloading side would not
> have a visiblity into directory listing.

I think making a bunch of HEAD requests based on the contents of
$GIT_DIR/objects/info/packs wouldn't be too expensive on either
end, especially when HTTP/1.1 persistent connections + pipelining
may be used.