Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/5] recursively grep across submodules

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 10:02:13 -0700

On 10/27, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > As for the rest of the series, it should be ready for review or comments.
> 
> Just a few brief comments, before reading the patches carefully.
> 
>  * It is somewhat surprising that [1/5] is even needed (in other
>    words, I would have expected something like this to be already
>    there, and my knee-jerk reaction was "Heh, how does 'git status'
>    know how to show submodules that are and are not initialized
>    differently without this?"  

Yeah I was also surprised to find that this kind of functionality didn't
already exist.  Though I guess there are still many builtin's that don't
play nice with submodules so maybe this kind of functionality just
wasn't needed until now.

>  * It is somewhat surprising that [4/5] does not even use the
>    previous ls-files to find out the paths.

The first attempt I made at this series used ls-files to produce a list
of files which was then fed to the grep machinery.  The problem I found
with this approach was when I started moving to work on grepping
history, at that point it seemed to make more sense to have a process
for each submodule.

-- 
Brandon Williams