Subject: Re: [PATCH] transport: add core.allowProtocol config option

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 11:45:38 -0700

On 11/03, Jeff King wrote:
> 
> So this seems like a reasonable direction to me. It obviously needs
> documentation and tests. Arguably there should be a fallback "allow"
> value when a protocol is not mentioned in the config so that you could
> convert the default from "user" to "never" if you wanted your config to
> specify a pure whitelist.

Yes I agree there should probably be a fallback value of 'never' maybe?
What you currently have preserves the behavior of what git does
now, if we did instead have a fallback of 'never' it would break current
users who don't already use GIT_ALLOW_PROTOCOL (well only if they use
crazy protocols).  We could ease into it though and start with default
to allow and then transition to a true whitelist sometime after this
change has been made?

> 
> Without that, I think we'd want to keep GIT_ALLOW_PROTOCOL for the truly
> paranoid (though we should keep it indefinitely either way for backwards
> compatibility).
> 
> Do you have interest in picking this up and running with it?

Yep! Thanks for the help in shaping this.

-- 
Brandon Williams