Subject: [PATCH 2/3] stripspace: respect repository config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:05:13 -0800

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

The way "git stripspace" reads the configuration was not quite
correct, in that it forgot to probe for a possibly existing
repository (note: stripspace is designed to be usable outside the
repository as well) before doing so.  Due to this, .git/config was
read only when the command was run from the top-level of the working
tree.  

A recent change b9605bc4f2 ("config: only read .git/config from
configured repos", 2016-09-12) stopped reading the repository-local
configuration file ".git/config" unless the repository discovery
process is done, and ".git/config" is no longer read even when run
from the top-level, which exposed the bug even more.

When rebasing interactively with a commentChar defined in the
current repository's config, the help text at the bottom of the edit
script potentially used an incorrect comment character. This was not
only funny-looking, but also resulted in tons of warnings like this
one:

	Warning: the command isn't recognized in the following line
	 - #

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/stripspace.c  | 4 +++-
 t/t0030-stripspace.sh | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/stripspace.c b/builtin/stripspace.c
index 15e716ef43..1e62a008cb 100644
--- a/builtin/stripspace.c
+++ b/builtin/stripspace.c
@@ -44,8 +44,10 @@ int cmd_stripspace(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 	if (argc)
 		usage_with_options(stripspace_usage, options);
 
-	if (mode == STRIP_COMMENTS || mode == COMMENT_LINES)
+	if (mode == STRIP_COMMENTS || mode == COMMENT_LINES) {
+		setup_git_directory_gently(NULL);
 		git_config(git_default_config, NULL);
+	}
 
 	if (strbuf_read(&buf, 0, 1024) < 0)
 		die_errno("could not read the input");
diff --git a/t/t0030-stripspace.sh b/t/t0030-stripspace.sh
index c1f6411eb2..bbf3e39e3d 100755
--- a/t/t0030-stripspace.sh
+++ b/t/t0030-stripspace.sh
@@ -432,7 +432,7 @@ test_expect_success '-c with changed comment char' '
 	test_cmp expect actual
 '
 
-test_expect_failure '-c with comment char defined in .git/config' '
+test_expect_success '-c with comment char defined in .git/config' '
 	test_config core.commentchar = &&
 	printf "= foo\n" >expect &&
 	printf "foo" | (
-- 
2.11.0-rc2-154-g95ba452916