Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 5/6] grep: enable recurse-submodules to work on <tree> objects

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:54:58 -0800

On 11/22, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> > So this change may have an impact on "git ls-tree -r" with pathspec;
> >> > I offhand do not know if that impact is undesirable or not.  A test
> >> > or two may be in order to illustrate what happens?  With a submodule
> >> > at "sub/module", running "git ls-tree -r HEAD -- sub/module/*" or
> >> > something like that, perhaps?
> >> 
> >> Maybe unrelated, but it looks like wildcard characters are overridden in
> >> ls-tree.c per '170260ae'.  As such wildmatching just doesn't work with
> >> ls-tree.  so `git ls-tree -r HEAD -- "*"` results in no hits.
> >
> > Wrong commit.  Its this one (f0096c06bcdeb7aa6ae8a749ddc9d6d4a2c381d1)
> > that disabled wildmatching since it is 'plumbing'
> 
> OK.  Things that share tree-walk other than "ls-tree -r" are still
> affected, no?

Yeah potentially, though I'm having a difficult time finding a case that
would actually be affected.

-- 
Brandon Williams