Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] grep: make output consistent with revision syntax

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:26:33 -0800

On 01/19, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 03:03:45PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> 
> > git-grep(1)'s output is not consistent with git-rev-parse(1) revision syntax.
> > 
> > This means you cannot take "rev:path/to/file.c: foo();" output from git-grep(1)
> > and expect "git show rev:path/to/file.c" to work.  See the individual patches
> > for examples of command-lines that produce invalid output.
> 
> I think this is a good goal.

I agree.

> I couldn't immediately think of any cases where your patches would
> misbehave, but my initial thought was that the "/" versus ":"
> distinction is about whether the initial object is a tree or a commit.

I think this is also the case, I couldn't think of another case where
this decision wasn't based on if the object is a tree or a commit.
Interestingly enough I don't think we have any tests that exist that
test the formatting of grep's output when given a tree object since the
test suite still passes with these changes in. Which means this fix
should probably include a couple tests to ensure there's no regression
in the future.

-- 
Brandon Williams