Subject: [PATCH 00/12] completion: speed up refs completion

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 03:53:53 +0100

This series speeds up refs completion for large number of refs, partly
by giving up disambiguating ambiguous refs (patch 6) and partly by
eliminating most of the shell processing between 'git for-each-ref'
and 'ls-remote' and Bash's completion facility.  The rest is a bit of
preparatory reorganization, cleanup and bugfixes.

The last patch touches the ZSH wrapper, too.  By a lucky educated
guess I managed to get it work on the first try, but I don't really
know what I've actually done, so...  ZSH users, please have a closer
look.

At the end of this series refs completion from a local repository is
as fast as it can possibly get, at least as far as the completion
script is concerned, because it basically does nothing anymore :)  All
it does is run 'git for-each-ref' with assorted options to do all the
work, and feed its output directly, without any processing into Bash's
COMPREPLY array.  There is still room for improvements in the code
paths using 'git ls-remote', but for that we would need enhancements
to 'ls-remote'.

It goes on top of the __gitdir() improvements series I just posted at:

  http://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/T/

This series is also available at:

  https://github.com/szeder/git completion-refs-speedup

SZEDER Gábor (12):
  completion: remove redundant __gitcomp_nl() options from _git_commit()
  completion: wrap __git_refs() for better option parsing
  completion: support completing full refs after '--option=refs/<TAB>'
  completion: support excluding full refs
  completion: don't disambiguate tags and branches
  completion: don't disambiguate short refs
  completion: let 'for-each-ref' and 'ls-remote' filter matching refs
  completion: let 'for-each-ref' strip the remote name from remote
    branches
  completion: let 'for-each-ref' filter remote branches for 'checkout'
    DWIMery
  completion: let 'for-each-ref' sort remote branches for 'checkout'
    DWIMery
  completion: list only matching symbolic and pseudorefs when completing
    refs
  completion: fill COMPREPLY directly when completing refs

 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 205 ++++++++++++++++--------
 contrib/completion/git-completion.zsh  |   9 ++
 t/t9902-completion.sh                  | 282 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 430 insertions(+), 66 deletions(-)

-- 
2.11.0.555.g967c1bcb3