Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/5] stash: support pathspec argument

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:36:35 +0000

On 02/14, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm almost convinced of special casing "-p".  (Maybe I'm easy to
> > convince as well, because it would be convenient ;) ) However it's a
> > bit weird that now "git stash -p file" would work, but "git stash -m
> > message" wouldn't.  Maybe we should do it the other way around, and
> > only special case "-q", and see if there is an non option argument
> > after that?  From a glance at the options that's the only one where
> > "git stash -<option> <verb>" could make sense to the user.
> 
> Special-casing the allowed cases makes it easier to change the behavior
> in the future if needed: it's easy to add special cases and it doesn't
> break backward compatibility.
> 
> So, if we don't have a good reason to do otherwise, I'd rather stay on
> the future-proof side.

Ok, after reading the rest of the messages in the thread I'm convinced
we should just special case "-p" for now.

It's by far my most used stash command as well, after using git stash
without any arguments.

> -- 
> Matthieu Moy
> http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/