Subject: body-CC-comment regression

From: Johan Hovold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 18:49:24 +0100

Hi,

I recently noticed that after an upgrade, git-send-email (2.10.2)
started aborting when trying to send patches that had a linux-kernel
stable-tag in its body. For example,

	Cc: <[email-masked]>	# 4.4

was now parsed as

	"[email-masked]#4.4"

which resulted in

	Died at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-send-email line 1332, <FIN> line 1.

This tends to happen in the middle of a series after the cover letter
had been sent just to make things worse...

I finally got around to looking into this today and discovered this
thread ("Re: Formatting problem send_mail in version 2.10.0"):

	https://marc.info/?l=git&m=147633706724793&w=2

The problem with the resulting fixes that are now in 2.11.1 is that
git-send-email no longer discards the trailing comment but rather
shoves it into the name after adding some random white space:

	"# 3 . 3 . x : 1b9508f : sched : Rate-limit newidle" <[email-masked]>"

This example is based on the example from
Documentation/process/stable-kernel-rules.rst:

	Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.3.x: 1b9508f: sched: Rate-limit newidle

and this format for stable-tags has been documented at least since 2009
and 8e9b9362266d ("Doc/stable rules: add new cherry-pick logic"), and
has been supported by git since 2012 and 831a488b76e0 ("git-send-email:
remove garbage after email address") I believe.

Can we please revert to the old behaviour of simply discarding such
comments (from body-CC:s) or at least make it configurable through a
configuration option?

Thanks,
Johan