Subject: [PATCH 00/10] decoupling a submodule's existence and its url

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 15:47:18 -0800

There are two motivations for decoupling a submodule's existence from the url
that is stored in .git/config.

1. Worktrees can't really be used with submodules since the existence is
   checked based on the shared .git/config.  This means that two different
   worktress have to have the same initialized submodules.  By decoupling a
   submodule's existence from the url, two different work trees can be
   configured to have different submodules checked out.
2. Easily configure gorups of submodules that a user is interested in.  In a
   repository with hundreds of submodules it would be difficult to easily tell git
   which modules to worry about without having to individually init all of
   them.  Instead, a pathspec can be used to more easily select or deselect
   groups of submodules.

This patch series works to do this decoupling and instead allows a user to
configure submodule.active with a pathspec to use to check if a submodule is
initialized.

Brandon Williams (10):
  submodule: decouple url and submodule existence
  submodule update: add `--init-active` switch
  clone: add --submodule-spec=<pathspec> switch
  completion: clone can initialize specific submodules
  submodule--helper: add is_active command
  submodule add: respect submodule.active
  submodule status: use submodule--helper is-active
  submodule deinit: use most reliable url
  submodule sync: use submodule--helper is-active
  submodule--helper clone: check for configured submodules using helper

 Documentation/git-clone.txt            |  23 ++++---
 Documentation/git-submodule.txt        |  11 +++-
 builtin/clone.c                        |  36 ++++++++++-
 builtin/submodule--helper.c            |  22 ++++---
 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash |   1 +
 git-submodule.sh                       |  39 +++++++++---
 submodule.c                            |  25 +++++++-
 t/t7400-submodule-basic.sh             | 109 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7413-submodule-is-active.sh         |  85 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 9 files changed, 323 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t7413-submodule-is-active.sh

-- 
2.11.0.483.g087da7b7c-goog