Subject: [PATCH 0/5] recursing submodules with relative pathspec (grep and ls-files)

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:50:55 -0800

It was discovered that when using the --recurse-submodules flag with `git grep`
and `git ls-files` and specifying a relative path when not at the root causes
the child processes spawned to error out with an error like:

fatal: ..: '..' is outside repository

While true that ".." is outside the scope of the submodule repository, it
probably doesn't make much sense to the user who gave that pathspec with
respect to the superproject.  Since the child processes that are spawned to
handle the submodules have some context that they are executing underneath a
superproject (via the 'super_prefix'), they should be able to prevent dying
under this circumstance.

This series fixes this bug in both git grep and git ls-files as well as
correctly formatting the output from submodules to handle the relative paths
with "..".

One of the changes made to fix this was to add an additional flag for the
parse_pathspec() function in order to treat all paths provided as being from
the root of the repository.  I hesitantly selected the name 'PATHSPEC_FROMROOT'
but I'm not fond of it since its too similar to the pathspec magic define
'PATHSPEC_FROMTOP'.  So I'm open for naming suggestions.

Brandon Williams (5):
  grep: illustrate bug when recursing with relative pathspec
  pathspec: add PATHSPEC_FROMROOT flag
  grep: fix bug when recuring with relative pathspec
  ls-files: illustrate bug when recursing with relative pathspec
  ls-files: fix bug when recuring with relative pathspec

 builtin/grep.c                         |  8 ++++--
 builtin/ls-files.c                     |  8 ++++--
 pathspec.c                             |  2 +-
 pathspec.h                             |  2 ++
 t/t3007-ls-files-recurse-submodules.sh | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7814-grep-recurse-submodules.sh     | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 107 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

-- 
2.11.0.483.g087da7b7c-goog