Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] bringing attributes to pathspecs

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:52:54 -0700

On 03/21, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > v3 fixes some nits in style in the test script (using <<-\EOF instead of <<-EOF)
> > as well as fixing a few other minor things reported by Junio and Jonathan.
> 
> I'm slowly digging through the pile of mails in the past weeks... I
> know this has landed on 'master' (thanks!). Just wanted to check
> something.
> 
> The series updated match_pathspec(), but that's only one of two
> pathspec filtering functions. The other is tree_entry_interesting()
> (e.g. for "git grep <tree>"). Do you have plans to support :(attr)
> there too? "No" is a perfectly fine answer (and it will end up in my
> forever growing backlog).
> 
> The thing about tree_entry_interesting() is, we would want to stop
> traversing subtrees as soon as possible. Naively implemented, we would
> need to traverse all subtrees so we can call match_attrs(). That's not
> great. Oii I'm rambling.. I don't know yet how to implement this thing
> efficiently.

I expect that this should be supported in tree_entry_interesting() at
some point, though I didn't have any immediate plans to do that yet.
One reason for that is I just haven't thought through all the cases to
make it performant (as you've pointed out).  So for now it'll probably
be appended to the backlog (yours, mine, or both) and if there ends up
being a larger demand for it then we can increase the priority for it.

-- 
Brandon Williams