Subject: [GSoC] Proposal Discussion

From: Devin Lehmacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:17:08 -0400

Hello everyone,

I am a student studying Computer Science at Cornell University. I
already completed a microproject, Move ~/.git-credential-cache/socket to
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/credential/socket a week and a half ago or so.

I am interested in 2 different projects and would like some advice on
them, to help me decide which one to submit a proposal for.

1. `git rebase -i` conversion. 
   I was initially the most interested in this project but realize that
   after having a very busy week last week that Ivan Tham started
   [discussion][1] about this project. Would it be appropriate to submit
   a proposal for a project that someone else also wants to work on?

2. formatting tool improvements. 
   There are four different git commands mentioned [here][2] as possible
   tools to improve as can be seen in the email. Of those I think it
   would make the most sense to extend `git name-rev`. It seems best
   suited to the desired behavior. It would need to be extended to
   understand rev's that refer to objects rather than just a commit-ish
   and also add formatting support similar to the information that log
   and for-each-ref can output. Since this doesn't seem like much work,
   would it be feasible to generalize and somewhat standardize all of
   the formatting commands?

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]: https://public-inbox.org/git/CA+P7+xr4ZNCCJkS0=yR-FNu+MrL60YX-+Wsz9L_5LCNhnY_d=[email-masked]/

Thanks for any feedback you may have,
Devin