Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] reset.c: update files when using sparse to avoid data loss.

From: Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:24:29 +0700

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:23:57PM -0700, Kevin Willford wrote:
> When using the sparse checkout feature the git reset command will add

"git reset" has three different modes. It would be good if you mention
what mode is affected here. The tests are for --mixed only. I wonder
if we need to do anything for --hard and --soft?

--soft touches branch SHA-1 index only, not worktree, so probably not.

--hard should be handled by unpack_trees(), I think.

But it would be good to cover these in the commit message as well to
stop readers from wondering.

> entries to the index that will have the skip-worktree bit off but will
> leave the working directory empty.  File data is lost because the index
> version of the files has been changed but there is nothing that is in the
> working directory.  This will cause the next status call to show either
> deleted for files modified or deleting or nothing for files added.
> The added files should be shown as untracked and modified files should
> be shown as modified.

Hmm.. reading --mixed documentation again ("Resets the index but not
working tree"), I think the current behavior is expected regardless of
skip-worktree bits.

Perhaps the problem is the loss of skip-worktree bits on entries added
by update_index_from_diff()? If the bits are at the right place, then
it should not matter if the same version exists on worktree or not and
"status" or "commit" should work as expected, I think.

--
Duy