Subject: [PATCH v9 0/3] read-cache: speed up add_index_entry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:16:59 +0000

From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>

Version 9 addresses the following:
  () p0006 perf test can now run using either synthetic repos
     from t/perf/repos/many-repos.sh -OR- an actual real-world
     repo.
  () The commit message has been updated to include results of
     p0006 on linux.git.
  () Line 0006.3 shows a positive value, but results for that
     line had a lot of variance between runs.  I measured the
     blocks of code I added and they only added 0.007 to 0.015
     seconds.  I suspect the overall time difference and variance
     is due to file I/O to update the worktree when switching
     branches.

I think this version has addressed everything raise so far,
so I think I'm ready to let this one rest.  Thanks for all
the help and feedback.

Jeff Hostetler (3):
  read-cache: add strcmp_offset function
  p0006-read-tree-checkout: perf test to time read-tree
  read-cache: speed up add_index_entry during checkout

 Makefile                           |   1 +
 cache.h                            |   1 +
 read-cache.c                       |  66 +++++++++++++++++++++-
 t/helper/.gitignore                |   1 +
 t/helper/test-strcmp-offset.c      |  22 ++++++++
 t/perf/p0006-read-tree-checkout.sh |  69 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/perf/repos/.gitignore            |   1 +
 t/perf/repos/many-files.sh         | 110 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t0065-strcmp-offset.sh           |  21 +++++++
 9 files changed, 290 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 t/helper/test-strcmp-offset.c
 create mode 100755 t/perf/p0006-read-tree-checkout.sh
 create mode 100644 t/perf/repos/.gitignore
 create mode 100755 t/perf/repos/many-files.sh
 create mode 100755 t/t0065-strcmp-offset.sh

-- 
2.9.3