Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/6] submodule: improve submodule_has_commits

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:14:34 -0700

On 04/28, Stefan Beller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Teach 'submodule_has_commits()' to ensure that if a commit exists in a
> > submodule, that it is also reachable from a ref.
> >
> > This is a prepritory step prior to merging the logic which checkes for
> 
> s/prepritory/preparatory/
> s/checkes/checks/
> 
> This is the first commit in the series that changes user observable behavior,
> I guess there will be tests in a later patch? Can you elaborate in this commit
> message more about why it is useful (or at least harmless for performing
> this check in the case of fetch/push)?

This hunk of logic is essentially a copy and paste from elsewhere in the
file.  Essentially both code paths were essentially doing the same thing
(checking if a submodule has a commit) but one of the code paths included
this logic to ensure that it was reachable from a ref in the submodule.
In order to merge the two code paths, I included that logic here.

Maybe it would make sense to squash this into the next patch as the
place where this was copied from is removed?

-- 
Brandon Williams