Subject: [PATCH v3 21/30] grep: remove redundant regflags assignments

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 21:42:24 +0000

Remove redundant assignments to the "regflags" variable. This variable
is only used set under GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_ERE, so there's no need to
un-set it under GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_{FIXED,BRE,PCRE}.

Back in 5010cb5fcc[1], we did do "opt.regflags &= ~REG_EXTENDED" upon
seeing "-G" on the command line and flipped the bit on upon seeing
"-E", but I think that was perfectly sensible and it would have been a
bug if we didn't.  They were part of the command line parsing that
could have seen "-E" on the command line earlier.

When cca2c172 ("git-grep: do not die upon -F/-P when
grep.extendedRegexp is set.", 2011-05-09) switched the command line
parsing to "read into a 'tentatively this is what we saw the last'
variable and then finally commit just once", we didn't touch
opt.regflags for PCRE and FIXED, but we still had to flip regflags
between BRE and ERE, because parsing of grep.extendedregexp
configuration variable directly touched opt.regflags back then, which
was done by b22520a3 ("grep: allow -E and -n to be turned on by
default via configuration", 2011-03-30).

When 84befcd0 ("grep: add a grep.patternType configuration setting",
2012-08-03) introduced extended_regexp_option field, we stopped
flipping regflags while reading the configuration, and that was when
we should have noticed and stopped dropping REG_EXTENDED bit in the
"now we can commit what type to use" helper function.

There is no reason to do this anymore, so stop doing it, more to
reduce "wait this is used under fixed/BRE/PCRE how?" confusion when
reading the code, than to to save ourselves trivial CPU cycles by
removing one assignment.

1. "built-in "git grep"", 2006-04-30.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---
 grep.c | 6 +-----
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/grep.c b/grep.c
index 47cee45067..bf6c2494fd 100644
--- a/grep.c
+++ b/grep.c
@@ -179,7 +179,6 @@ static void grep_set_pattern_type_option(enum grep_pattern_type pattern_type, st
 	case GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_BRE:
 		opt->fixed = 0;
 		opt->pcre = 0;
-		opt->regflags &= ~REG_EXTENDED;
 		break;
 
 	case GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_ERE:
@@ -191,13 +190,11 @@ static void grep_set_pattern_type_option(enum grep_pattern_type pattern_type, st
 	case GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_FIXED:
 		opt->fixed = 1;
 		opt->pcre = 0;
-		opt->regflags &= ~REG_EXTENDED;
 		break;
 
 	case GREP_PATTERN_TYPE_PCRE:
 		opt->fixed = 0;
 		opt->pcre = 1;
-		opt->regflags &= ~REG_EXTENDED;
 		break;
 	}
 }
@@ -415,10 +412,9 @@ static void compile_fixed_regexp(struct grep_pat *p, struct grep_opt *opt)
 {
 	struct strbuf sb = STRBUF_INIT;
 	int err;
-	int regflags;
+	int regflags = opt->regflags;
 
 	basic_regex_quote_buf(&sb, p->pattern);
-	regflags = opt->regflags & ~REG_EXTENDED;
 	if (opt->ignore_case)
 		regflags |= REG_ICASE;
 	err = regcomp(&p->regexp, sb.buf, regflags);
-- 
2.13.0.303.g4ebf302169