Subject: [PATCH v4 00/31] Easy to review grep & pre-PCRE changes

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 19:45:04 +0000

Easy to review? 29 (I mean 30, I mean 31) patches? Are you kidding
me?!

As noted in v1 (<[email-masked]>;
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/)
these are all doc, test, refactoring etc. changes needed by the
subsequent "PCRE v2, PCRE v1 JIT, log -P & fixes" series.

See <[email-masked]>
(https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/)
v3 & notes about that version. What changed this time around? See
below:

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason (31):
  Makefile & configure: reword inaccurate comment about PCRE
  grep & rev-list doc: stop promising libpcre for --perl-regexp
  test-lib: rename the LIBPCRE prerequisite to PCRE
  log: add exhaustive tests for pattern style options & config
  log: make --regexp-ignore-case work with --perl-regexp
  grep: add a test asserting that --perl-regexp dies when !PCRE
  grep: add a test for backreferences in PCRE patterns
  grep: change non-ASCII -i test to stop using --debug
  grep: add tests for --threads=N and grep.threads
  grep: amend submodule recursion test for regex engine testing
  grep: add tests for grep pattern types being passed to submodules
  grep: add a test helper function for less verbose -f \0 tests
  grep: prepare for testing binary regexes containing rx metacharacters
  grep: add tests to fix blind spots with \0 patterns

No changes.

  perf: add a GIT_PERF_MAKE_COMMAND for when *_MAKE_OPTS won't do

Fix trailing whitespace.

  perf: emit progress output when unpacking & building

No changes.

  perf: add a comparison test of grep regex engines
  perf: add a comparison test of grep regex engines with -F
  perf: add a comparison test of log --grep regex engines
  perf: add a comparison test of log --grep regex engines with -F

These are all improved:

 * Skip the PCRE test when we don't have the PCRE prerequisite,
   instead of erroring out.

 * Update outdated commit messages left over from previous
   submissions.

 * General minor nits in the code, e.g. use the same for-loop variable
   name in all four files which have similar code, simplify the
   test_cmp invocation etc.

  grep: catch a missing enum in switch statement
  grep: remove redundant regflags assignments

No changes.

  grep: factor test for \0 in grep patterns into a function

Brandon pointed out that one of the lines in this patch was longer
than 79 characters. Fixed.

  grep: change the internal PCRE macro names to be PCRE1
  grep: change internal *pcre* variable & function names to be *pcre1*
  grep: move is_fixed() earlier to avoid forward declaration
  test-lib: add a PTHREADS prerequisite
  pack-objects & index-pack: add test for --threads warning
  pack-objects: fix buggy warning about threads
  grep: given --threads with NO_PTHREADS=YesPlease, warn
  grep: assert that threading is enabled when calling grep_{lock,unlock}

No changes.

 Documentation/git-grep.txt             |   7 +-
 Documentation/rev-list-options.txt     |   8 +-
 Makefile                               |  14 ++-
 builtin/grep.c                         |  23 +++-
 builtin/pack-objects.c                 |   4 +-
 configure.ac                           |  12 +-
 grep.c                                 | 110 +++++++++--------
 grep.h                                 |  10 +-
 revision.c                             |   1 +
 t/README                               |   8 +-
 t/perf/README                          |  17 ++-
 t/perf/p4220-log-grep-engines.sh       |  53 ++++++++
 t/perf/p4221-log-grep-engines-fixed.sh |  44 +++++++
 t/perf/p7820-grep-engines.sh           |  56 +++++++++
 t/perf/p7821-grep-engines-fixed.sh     |  41 +++++++
 t/perf/run                             |  13 +-
 t/t4202-log.sh                         | 160 +++++++++++++++++++++++-
 t/t5300-pack-object.sh                 |  36 ++++++
 t/t7008-grep-binary.sh                 | 135 ++++++++++++++++-----
 t/t7810-grep.sh                        |  81 ++++++++++---
 t/t7812-grep-icase-non-ascii.sh        |  29 ++---
 t/t7813-grep-icase-iso.sh              |   2 +-
 t/t7814-grep-recurse-submodules.sh     | 215 ++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 t/test-lib.sh                          |   3 +-
 24 files changed, 843 insertions(+), 239 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/perf/p4220-log-grep-engines.sh
 create mode 100755 t/perf/p4221-log-grep-engines-fixed.sh
 create mode 100755 t/perf/p7820-grep-engines.sh
 create mode 100755 t/perf/p7821-grep-engines-fixed.sh

-- 
2.13.0.303.g4ebf302169