Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/31] repository object

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 11:10:59 -0700

On 05/31, Brandon Williams wrote:
> Given the vast interest expressed when I sent out my RFC series I decided it
> would be worth it to invest more time to making a repository object a reality.
> 
> This series is an extension of the last series I sent out (in that ls-files is
> converted to working on submodules in-process using repository objects instead
> of spawning a child process to do the work).  The big difference from the RFC
> series is that I went through and did the work to migrate key repository state
> from global variables in 'environment.c' to being stored in a repository object
> itself.  I migrated the bits of state that seemed reasonable for this series,
> there is still a lot of global state which could be migrated in the future.
> 
> I do think that we need to be slightly cautious about moving global state into
> the repository object though, I don't want 'struct repo' to simply become a
> kitchen sink where everything gets dumped.  But this is just a warning for the
> future.
> 
> Since this is a v1 I'm fairly certain that it still has a lot of rough edges
> (like I think I need to write better commit messages, and we should probably
> have more comments documenting object fields/contract) but I want to get the
> review process started sooner rather than later since I'm sure people will have
> opinions (e.g. should it be called 'struct repo' or 'struct repository'?!).
> 
> So here it is!  Thank you so much for taking the time review this, any and all
> comments would be appreciated.
> 
> - Brandon
> 
> Patches [01-14] -> Introducing the Repository object and migrating some state
> 		   to be stored in 'the_repository'.
> 
> Patches [15-31] -> Converting ls-files to use 'struct repo' in order to recurse
> 		   submodules in-process.

For those who don't like reviewing patches in email form, you can find
this series at:
https://github.com/bmwill/git/tree/repository-object 

-- 
Brandon Williams