Subject: [PATCHv2.1] revision.h: turn rev_info.early_output back into an unsigned int

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 13:41:01 +0200

rev_info.early_output started out as an unsigned int in cdcefbc97 (Add
"--early-output" log flag for interactive GUI use, 2007-11-03), but
later it was turned into a single bit in a bit field in cc243c3ce
(show: --ignore-missing, 2011-05-18) without explanation, though the
code using it still expects it to be a regular integer type and uses
it as a counter.  Consequently, any even number given via
'--early-output=<N>', or indeed a plain '--early-output' defaulting to
100 effectively disabled the feature.

Turn rev_info.early_output back into its origin unsigned int data
type, making '--early-output' work again.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---

> But the "users still expect" bit was a bit subtle to me, as I thought
> you meant users of Git. But you mean that the feature itself is not a
> boolean, but rather an integer count of how much early output to show.

Yeah, I wrote "callsites" first, but then realized it's not a
function...

Here is the same patch with an updated commit message now saying "code
using it" and "used as a counter" to make it clearer.  It also
mentions that an argumentless '--early-output' turns off the feature,
too.

I won't resend the rest of the series.

 revision.h | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/revision.h b/revision.h
index a91dd3d5d..f96e7f7f4 100644
--- a/revision.h
+++ b/revision.h
@@ -74,8 +74,9 @@ struct rev_info {
 	/* topo-sort */
 	enum rev_sort_order sort_order;
 
-	unsigned int	early_output:1,
-			ignore_missing:1,
+	unsigned int early_output;
+
+	unsigned int	ignore_missing:1,
 			ignore_missing_links:1;
 
 	/* Traversal flags */
-- 
2.13.0.420.g54001f015