Subject: Re: recursive grep doesn't respect --color=always inside submodules

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:41:28 -0700

On 07/23, Jacob Keller wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM, Orgad Shaneh <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When git grep --color=always is used, and the output is redirected to
> > a file or a pipe, results inside submodules are not colored. Results
> > in the supermodule are colored correctly.
> >
> > - Orgad
> 
> This occurs because color isn't passed to the recursive grep submodule
> process we launch. It might be fixed if/when we switch to using the
> repository object to run grep in-process. We could also patch grep to
> pass the color option into the submodule.

This is one of the many downsides to the multi-process approach as it is
very easy to miss passing configuration like '--color' down to the
submodules.  As Jacob pointed out this problem is solved when the
recursion is handled in-process.  The series to implement this is
currently under-review.  The latest version of the patch series you can
find here
(https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/)
and it looks like Junio has it as a branch on github at
(https://github.com/gitster/git/tree/bw/grep-recurse-submodules).

-- 
Brandon Williams